CAS (beta): tmp bug list

Discussions about extensions and frameworks

CAS (beta): tmp bug list

Postby oliver » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:44 am

Pile in bugs here.

I start off the list with a big one:

"1.0beta": Commands taking expressions not working in algebraic expressions. E.g., "D(2^x,x)" fails. [Will be fixed in the next update.]
oliver
Site Admin

Re: CAS (beta): tmp bug list

Postby stevey93 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:16 pm

Just a small one, if I enter e^x then solve it displays '(no*solutions*exist)'. I think it would look a little bit nicer if the asterisks were replaced with spaces. This is in CAS version 1.0 by the way. Also, I'm not exactly sure how to plot functions using the CAS (I'm assuming it should be able to if it's using Mathematica), if I try Plot[sin(x), {x, -10, 10}], it doesn't do anything, neither if I try sin(x), enter, x, enter, -10, enter, 10, enter, Plot, enter. I don't know if I'm entering something in wrong or if it just doesn't have this functionality yet, either way it's not too big of an issue since ND1 already has a built in graphing feature (although, graphing using Mathematica would be pretty cool!). Overall though, I have to say that I really like it so far and will keep testing it to see if I can find anything else.
stevey93

Re: CAS (beta): tmp bug list

Postby oliver » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:24 pm

Thanks, Stephen. Yes, something like what you report, '(no*solutions*exist)', is exactly the kind of thing that can go wrong. I'll catch that one, thanks.

Right now, only the existing commands are supported.

Sorry, using image results will happen at some point but it's not on the menu yet. Also, I'm not allowed legally to make all of Mathematica available, so there will be limits. (After all, this is an expensive program.) A user could write their own functions, *possibly* incl. plotting. But this would be a pretty manual process. That is, the framework wouldn't lend support to that yet, beyond allowing you to do a raw query and receive some XML result. Plots become image URLs. Which, of course, can be displayed on an HTML5 display! (Which ND1 happens to have.)

Good to hear you're liking what you see so far.

I found one
issue: integration limits are enforced to be numbers (as in the 50g num integration command) when really this should allow for expressions (such as 2*pi).

New bug:
"1.0beta1b": doing undo after using the "intelligent" ∫ command to do numerical integration doesn't restore the stack as expected.

The promised "how to extend the CAS" note is now available at http://forums.naivedesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=673.
oliver
Site Admin

Update: 1.0beta2

Postby oliver » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:39 pm

An update has been posted. In addition to many new commands, it addresses a bunch of bugs from above. Also, the issue with symbolic integration limits has been addressed.

Undo is still funky after doing a numerical integration.

Thank you, Stephen, your comment made me re-contemplate using image pods and I'm glad to report that there's a plot command now.
Plus, there's now a facility to return any kind of image data from W|A. I added a couple functions to the Chem folder that will display the normal and 3-D structure for a given compound--as an image!

To plot 3 graphs:
Code: Select all
 ['sin(x)', 'sin(2*x)', 'sin(3*x)'] [x, 0, 2*pi] plot

(Note, that you may write ['x', 0, '2*pi'] or [x, 0, 2*pi].)

This also works in immediate algebraic mode (in RPL+): ≪ plot(LegendreP(10, x), [x, -1, 1]) ≫
oliver
Site Admin

Update: 1.0beta3

Postby oliver » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:55 pm

A few bugs have been fixed in 1.0beta3.

New capabilities and commands have been added. The usage post, and the examples there, have been updated.
oliver
Site Admin

Return to Extensions