Having trouble with Random Matrix

Discuss your code, get questions answered

Re: Having trouble with Random Matrix

Postby JohnShau » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:45 am

Hi Oliver,

There are many reasons i want to transition from my trusty HP-42S to the ND1. I took your good advice and downloaded and have been studying the HP-28S and HP-50g manuals. The ND1, 28S and 50g are so different from the HP calculators I used in the past that I really do need to learn the basics before trying to learn the more advanced concepts. Because of the similarity of the 28S and ND1, I think I'll work with the 28S manual right now. I'll be in basic training for a while, and then I'll be back to the more interesting ideas. If I have major trouble with 28S concepts I'd like to post you here unless you would rather I contact you in another way.

Thanks again,

John
JohnShau

Postby oliver » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:10 pm

Hi John,

Yes, the classic RPN calcs are very different from the RPL line. (With the 42S being the last (and best) of the classic RPN calcs, and the 28S being the first RPL calc.)
The HP-28S manual is a great one to start with. (Note, that while ND1 has the menu organization and keypad of the HP-28S, it's closer to the 50g under the hood, what with support for symbolic vectors, list processing, etc.)

You're very welcome to ask any questions you may have here in this forum.

Have fun!
oliver
Site Admin

Postby JohnShau » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:22 pm

Hi Oliver,

I've been working down through the examples in the 28S manual using the ND1, and I've run into a snag on pg 60 having to do with Creating a Directory. I thought I could work my way through MEMORY, PATH, EE CRDIR, but I have the feelin the ND1 doesn't know what I'm talking about :-). I thought I'd work down through Using the Solver to a Repeat a Calculation, but I get the feeling ND1doesnt have SOLVER. Anyway, before I crash and burn I thought I see how much of the 28S manual I might be able to do on the ND1.

Thanks

john
JohnShau

Postby oliver » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:42 pm

Hi John,

Yes, ND1 has no file commands. (You can create folders, but you use the UI on the My Data page for that.) Also, it doesn't yet have a solver. (This is mainly a UI issue, and you'll see in v1.5 which path I'm taking with that.) Lack of a solver is probably the most serious omission in ND1 to date, and this is being addressed. Specifically, I'm working on integrating a full-blown CAS. An announcement about this will appear soon.

Please see this link http://naivedesign.com/ND1/ND1_Reference__HP_Comparison.html for what ND1 lacks in comparison to various HPs, incl. HP-28S.

Cheers.

Oliver
oliver
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Programming