Some number theory programs

Discuss your code, get questions answered

Some number theory programs

Postby d_motto » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:44 pm

I have written some number theory programs. They are quite simple in most cases, but I have a few questions about them: Digits, PartConj, cool

The programs are as follows:

Factors

Code: Select all
≪ RECT @dup factors toElements 2. / { } 1. ROT START DUP 1. 4. ROLL START PICK3 + NEXT NIP NIP NEXT≫

This takes the result of factors (or FACTORS) and returns it as a string of factors, instead of pairs of factors and exponents.

UnitDivs

≪ divs @dupdup reverse 2 ≪ gcd≫ DOLIST ≪ 1 ==≫ select≫

This returns the unitary divisors of a number: if a number n has a divisor d, and the GCD of d and n/d is 1, that is a unitary divisor.

Digits

≪ split≫

This takes a number and splits it into an array of its component digits.

Question: What is the best way to handle something like -1.42e-13, which becomes [NaN 1 4 2 NaN NaN 13]? How do I get rid of the NaNs?

DblFact

function (x) {     
  var d = 1;
  if (x < 2) return d;
  var i = x;
  while (i > 0) {
      d = d * i;
      i = i - 2;
  }
  return d;
}

I found an iOS calculator for free that had this function (press ! twice), and had to have it. It computes n*(n-2)*(n-4)...

Diffs

≪ @dup tail 0 + - @dup size 1 - resize≫

Computes successive differences of a vector: start with a range of 1 to 10, square it, and get the successive differences of -3 -5 -7 -9 etc. to -19, run it again and the differences are all 2.

PartConj

≪ @dup 'v' @var_store [] 'a' @var_store 1 at 1 - 0 @swap FOR x v ≪ x > ≫ map total a @swap + 'a' @var_store NEXT a≫

This computes the conjugate of a partition: if a partition is described by a Ferrers diagram:
11 = 5 3 1 1 1
XXXXX
XXX
X
X
X
The conjugate is as if you are reading down instead of across:
5 2 2 1 1

Like most of my code, this doesn't do any checking of the input.

Question: Why does the variable a stick around after the program has run. How do I use a local variable?

cool

≪ 'age' @var_store "Nxt" age nextPrime @tag "Prv" age prevPrime @tag "Divs" age ndivs @tag "Phi" age phi @tag "Rdcl" age radical @tag "sigma" age 1 sigma @tag "Hex" age toHex @tag "Oct" age toOct @tag "Ulam" age Ulam @drop @tag age Factors≫

I wrote a function to figure out my age in days, and this function displays some cool things about the resulting number (like, with the factors, how old I would be if years were 253 days long or something like that.

Now, I rewrote this as

≪ →n ≪ "Nxt" n nextPrime @tag "Prv" n prevPrime @tag "Divs" n ndivs @tag "Phi" n phi @tag "Rdcl" n radical @tag "sigma" n 1 sigma @tag "Hex" n toHex @tag "Oct" n toOct @tag "Ulam" n Ulam @drop @tag n Factors ≫ ≫

Question: why doesn't this work? I wanted to use a local variable n instead of one that hangs around after the program has run (age in the first example).

Dave Motto
d_motto

Re: Some number theory programs

Postby d_motto » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:46 pm

Oops, Digits will return

[NaN 1 4 2 NaN NaN 1 3]

for that input, not

[NaN 1 4 2 NaN NaN 13]

I left out a space.

Dave Motto
d_motto

Postby d_motto » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:50 pm

Okay, I found the =a construct to create a local variable, and fixed my programs.

Here are a couple of other programs.

Derange computes the subfactorial; the number of permutations where every item is in a different place than the original order.

≪ abs int factorial e / 0  round≫

This one needs work: Period is supposed to compute the length of the period of a reciprocal, enter then number and you get the period of the reciprocal; but it doesn't work for numbers like 6.

≪ =n n @dup 1 - 1 @swap FOR x 10 x n modpow @dup 0 IF == THEN @drop "=terminates" @tag BREAK END IF 1 == THEN x "=period" @tag BREAK END NEXT≫

Question: why doesn't it work?

Dave Motto
d_motto

Postby oliver » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:49 am

Hi Dave,

I'm so sorry. I didn't notice these posts until just now. Didn't mean to ignore you and will come back with answers this weekend.

Congrats on all those great programs!

Oliver
oliver
Site Admin

Postby oliver » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:14 pm

Dave,

Ok. These are some nice programs! I especially like UnitDivs--clever and short.

General comment: you may wanna try using [ instructions ] (or { instructions }, which is the same) vs. ≪ instructions ≫.
This is usually (quite a bit) faster for a small number of instructions.

I'm glad you found the =name syntax to assign (and re-assign) a value to a local variable. Much better to use this than global vars.

This
≪ →n ≪ ... ≫ ≫

didn't work, because you need a space character after the arrow.
I still recommend you use the =n syntax (with no space!). It's easier to type, read, and it's running faster, too. Plus, you save a set of pesky ≪ ≫.
Also, note that the classic syntax of re-assigning a local created with the arrow syntax requires you to use @var_store (STO). (Although, in ND1, you can actually mix syntaxes and simply re-assign with =n.)

Re your open question on Digits. I don't know. What you like to happen?
You can remove the NaNs like so
≪ split [isInt] filter ≫

but I doubt you really want [1 4 2 1 3] to be your result vector.

There's no checking for NaNs in the code for split because it needed to be fast. I used it on a bunch of http://projecteuler.net problems. (Have you heard of/seen this site? If you like Number Theory, you may like these problems. If you do, you may wanna check out http://naivedesign.com/ND1/Project_Euler.html. Or don't look at it, to not have your fun spoiled...)

There's a bunch of things you could do with the JavaScript Date object. https://developer.mozilla.org/en/JavaScript/Reference/Global_Objects/Date/ Figuring the number of days since you're born would be an easy thing to do, for example. How did you implement it? (EDIT: Oops. I *knew* there was a discussion about this but I forgot to look in Bugs for it... This http://forums.naivedesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=517, of course, is the answer to my question... :oops: )

The build-your-own-UI update to ND1 has a Birthday Info UI which allows you to pick a date and see what Wolfram Alpha has to say about that.

Cheers.

Oliver
oliver
Site Admin

Postby d_motto » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:42 pm

Thank you, Oliver. I have looked at the Project Euler website and the results you and others have provided. I am more interested in creating general-purpose functions than solving specific problems, but I had worked my way through a book called Puzzled Programmers by Microsoft Press, using ND1 and one of the many free BASIC interpreters to solve what I could. There are 15 puzzles and I did about 75% of them.

David Motto
d_motto

Return to Programming