Project Ideas

General Discussions about the API

Project Ideas

Postby oliver » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:16 am

If it's twitching under your fingers to do a MorphEngine project, but you're not sure what, consider this list of ideas:

- Units type (based on existing Units object of 160 units (and additional definitions from the Constants folder), have a type that allows to do math and move the units, displayed in badge, along; permit dissimilar units to be mixed and update resulting unit string)
- More kinds of graphing (currently only supports 1-D cartesian functions; straightforward to extend this to parametric, etc; implicit functions; 3-D graphing using three.js)
- More kinds of charting (can easily use any existing charting framework)
- All kinds of HTML5 form-based calculators (financial: mortage, TVM, ... science: specific converters, ...)
- Additions to the Special Functions folder (which contains only Bessel functions so far)
- Additions to the APConstants folder (very easy to add another constant given the code for one of the existing ones; rewrite Pi to use BigNum)
- Equation writer (leveraging an existing OpenSource project)
- Improve Chem type (from folder of same name)
- Improve NDImage (constructors off arrays; get ready for WebGL)

For new types see the Custom Data Types http://naivedesign.com/ND1/ND1_Reference__Custom_Types.html documentation. A new data type is so easy to do if you know JavaScript, and very fun.

I'm more than happy to discuss any of this in detail. If you want to start a discussion, start a thread or send me a message.
Likewise, if you have an idea that you'd like to run past me.
oliver
Site Admin

Re: Project Ideas

Postby oliver » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:23 pm

An update:

This list contained a Fraction type. This has been done, and the entry removed.

The Equations editor / pretty printer is currently being pursued. It will leverage MathJax and asciimath.

HTML-5 form-based calcs still make sense but a new UI-building method is coming up, which will provide an easier method for many uses.

Some of the "more kinds of graphing" have begun to appear in the Plot folder. More in the works.
oliver
Site Admin

Re: Project Ideas

Postby oliver » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:42 pm

A few people have inquired about the Unit type idea which has been on the top of the list for ever.

Here's how it's meant to work:
- Let the user type in something like "5 cm"; recognize this a string to create a new Units data type
- construct a Units object from this which will display 5 on the stack, with a badge showing the current unit, in this case "cm"
- allow users to tap that badge and display a list of conversion options from the same unit category (Length [m], in this case) in a HTML-5 popup
- if the user chooses another unit, perform unit conversion
- permit math between Unit objects (such as "5 cm" + "3 in") and scalars ("5 cm" * 3); that is, provide support for the usual math operators in the Unit object
- as an additional step: permit math between different Unit objects (such as "5 cm" / "2 s" = "2.5 cm/s")
- as an additional step: permit math between partially matching Unit objects (such as "2.5 cm/s" * "10 Hz" = "25 cm/s^2" or "2.5 cm/s" / "10 Hz" = "0.25 cm")

I will post the framework/beginning of a Units type to the Extensions forum. If someone wants to try their hand on that, I'm happy to support the effort. The HTML-5 popup to select a Unit would be a cool/convenient part but doesn't have to be the beginning. Doing basic math may be just as important and should be more straightforward to do (and not require specialized HTML-5 knowledge).
oliver
Site Admin

Return to General