1.5 Update

General Discussions about ND1

1.5 Update

Postby oliver » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:34 pm

1.5 is a pretty big update “under the hood”. It prepares for the upcoming Mathematica-in-the-cloud-based CAS, contains fixes, and introduces some new features.

Yay! iOS 7 is supported. (The previous version broke quite badly with the update.) The look has been updated. See http://forums.naivedesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1005.

Finally, there’s full support for the iPhone 5-family’s larger screen, adding display of more stack lines, bigger graphics, and larger keys.

[Note, expanding the calculator (hiding the tabs) is not possible under iOS 7, until the next update.]

The app now run in two new languages, thanks to volunteer translation contributions (a big thank you!): Spanish and Dutch.
Chinese anyone?

Key caps have been changed and are easier to understand now.

Remember: press and briefly hold a key to get its 2nd function. The 2nd-level key is going to be retired soon.

Also, long-press a built-in function’s soft-key to get documentation for it. Long-press a variable key to edit its contents.

There’s updated documentation for the following new functions:
(See http://forums.naivedesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1016&p=1975#p1975 for usage examples.)

Array menu:
- right
- fromDiagonal
- squareFree
- zip, unzip, augment (AUGMENT)
- match (full regular expression matching)

String menu:
- toName
- match

Real menu:
- setBigFPrecision, bigFPrecision

Integer menu:
- quot (IQUOT), IREMAINDER
- isSquareFree, squareFreePart, moebius

Solve menu:
- right
- subst (SUBST)

Improved:
- Can now drop @ from modern stack commands. E.g., drop instead of @drop
- eval is changed, num is new and works across most types
- expressions are now rendered in italics and are represented differently internally, with the calculator now knowing of three ways to evaluate them: numerically, symbolically, and half-symbolically (where certain parts are evaluated and others retained symbolically--important for CAS usage)
- various minor things

Fixed:
- going from an expanded calc to Help no longer gets you stuck without a tab bar
- convert when using ambiguous unit names that could be interpreted as another unit name with a SI-prefix; e.g. 1, m, ft, convert
- convergent and convergents
- squareFree
- GETI for matrices
- other minor things
oliver
Site Admin

Re: 1.5 Update

Postby alm » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:52 pm

I had actually mostly given up hope to ever see an ND1 update. Fortunately the current version worked fine for me as long as I stayed away from the help function. Too bad I've mostly moved on to Android by now. Given the delay to release v1.5, I'm guessing that I shouldn't expect an Android port anytime soon? An advanced RPN calculator (ND1) is the one iOS application that I didn't find a good replacement for for Android: you have the HP calculator emulators and a few other RPN calculators. RealCalc is the best of the latter group in my opinion, but doesn't come close to ND1 in features.
alm

Re: 1.5 Update

Postby oliver » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:03 pm

Hi alm,

Good to hear from you.

Yes, I know, I know. The delay in getting the app updated was/is appalling. I worked on it solidly over a year ago and got the CAS done and was committed to releasing the next version with it. Alas, small things were left to do and day job demands had me starved for time to work on this. I finally resolved that enough is enough and decided to back out some stuff and release an update w/o the CAS and a new custom tools feature (but follow up with both swiftly).

Despite delays, I'm still fully intending to do major things with ND1. It's 1.x, and I won't consider it done until it's 3.x. Custom, sharable UI and calculation tools and GLSL support are main upcoming things that have been largely developed already.

The actual calculator is written in JavaScript and I have it running as a web app, on the Kindle, and, yes, Android. Works needs to go into the (relatively simple) app that wraps the calc and, as I said, I'm seriously starved for time.
Realizing that I won't be able to do all platforms by myself, I've been contemplating what to do about it. I might opensource at some point but don't feel too good about this before having committed contributors lined up.

Anyway, what I'm saying is, the project is not forgotten and I hope to still surprise with what will come.

Oliver
oliver
Site Admin

Return to General