How to: Get the bottom tool bar back

General Discussions about ND1

How to: Get the bottom tool bar back

Postby ebkwall » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:11 pm

If you have closed the bottom toolbar to get more space, how do you get it back?
To be clear I am talking about the bar at the bottom with Settings - ND - ? - Data
I closed it by accident one time by double clicking it and could not get it back till I closed / reopened the app

Thanks,
Brian
ebkwall

Re: How to: Get the bottom tool bar back

Postby oliver » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:52 pm

This is an eternal favorite user interaction question.

Luckily, it has an easy solution and it's documented in at least 2-3 places. (Not saying that makes up for the kludgy design...)

Tap the menu button.
After the bottom bar slides up again, tap on any of the tabs.
(If you don't do that, they'll eventually slide out again.)

If someone sees a better way to do this, I'll implement it... ;-)
oliver
Site Admin

Postby ebkwall » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:04 pm

Thanks, I will try this.

I also had another issue with the bottom menu bar. I have had the buttons disappear off of it.
If the app gets in that mode, I have to close it and re-open it and the buttons will be back.
But once the app starts doing that it will keep on doing it until I delete it and re-down load it.

Is there a way to get the buttons back when they start disappearing like that?

Thanks,
Brian
ebkwall

Postby oliver » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:16 pm

Whoa. This never happened to me. Please let me know if you find steps to reproduce.

You should never have to re-download the app, obviously. Absolute worst case should be that you have to kill the app. (= Double-tap home, see app in list, swipe out of view.) But, honestly, I'm unaware of any problems that ever required that, outside of the editor push problem in 1.5, which got fixed quickly, and intentionally having very long-running custom programs. (Doing expensive processing on 40 mio primes for example, for one of the PE problems.)
oliver
Site Admin

Postby ebkwall » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:25 pm

If I have it happen again I will save a screen shot.
Yes, my first thing was to close it - not just hide it - then re-launch. The buttons were back, but quickly disappeared again once it started happening.
There may be a way to fix the issue but since I have been playing with it I figured I did something to corrupt something and did not mind the drastic kill and fill.

Of course if I had a lot of stuff programmed into it and a lot of customization that kill and fill would be painful indeed.

Like I said, I will let you know and give you a screen shot if it happens again.

Thanks,
Brian
ebkwall

Postby ebkwall » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:45 pm

Ok, I just got them to disappear. Looks like it was from turning Auto Expand on in the system settings.
I turned it off. Closed the app, re-opened the app and it looks like it is stable. I think when I had it going away was because I still had auto expand checked.
killing and re-downloading the app of course, had the auto expand to the default off value which "fixed" it.

Hope this helps.

I have not yet seen what that setting is for, I should just leave it alone.

Thanks!
ebkwall

Postby oliver » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:48 pm

Thanks for reporting and trying to reproduce.

I'll go with the info here, and the add'l info you sent via email, and see if I reproduce it.

Auto-Expand is meant to do automatically what you do when you manually hide the bottom tab bar.

Thanks!
oliver
Site Admin

Postby ebkwall » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:21 am

Ah, ok. So there is a direct correlation. At least it was not as major as you first thought. Re-downloading to reset everything pristine was an option for me. Knowing what setting is doing it makes it easy to avoid.

I always try to make an application work. Not make an application break.

So no rush on this one on my account. Thanks!

Brian
ebkwall

Return to General