HowTo: Close/Cancel program editor window

General Discussions about ND1

HowTo: Close/Cancel program editor window

Postby ebkwall » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:31 pm

I have been using the editor window to view the Demo programs. But cannot for the life of me figure out how to close without saving / cancel. I tried tapping, double tapping, tapping with two fingers. And clicking on some of the buttons still visible when the iOS keypad is up. No joy. Please advise.

Thanks much,
Brian
ebkwall

Re: HowTo: Close/Cancel program editor window

Postby oliver » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:47 pm

Is this in conjunction with the "Error in line 7" error you reported in email?

I remember there was something like this and I think it got hot-fixed quickly. Need to go back to code history.

I do remember there was indeed no way out. You had to Select All and then enter to appease the bug and continue. I think it only occurred for JavaScript programs. I'll update this thread as soon as I find out. I promise a fix if this doesn't have another solution. (It could be argued that it's way beyond time for the update that I've been sitting on, anyway.)
oliver
Site Admin

Postby ebkwall » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:59 pm

Yes, this is with the strange error on line 7 thing.
I loaded a few of the programs from the Demo folder. When I hit Enter to close them, I get the Syntax Error ('Select All' yada yada.

If I do Select All, then Enter it still does nothing. I have to close out the app and start over.

Thanks,
Brian
ebkwall

Postby oliver » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:04 pm

Ok; checking the 1.5.1 release notes, I'm reminded of the problem:

- entering RPL programs works without error msg (these would occur in 1.5 when there was whitespace past any RPL end marker)

So, it only affected RPL programs and having spaces after any "≫". (Which was in lots of programs. Basically, any that contained a RPL program snippet.)

Hmm. I'm trying to reproduce the problem, but can't.
Can you give me concrete steps how you're running into it? Which program in Demo folder are you looking at?

Is this an RPL program and does it have whitespace after "≫"? If so, can you backspace the whitespace and see if that allows you to push the program?

What you describe sounds exactly like the problem before the fix.

Can you type version and make sure you have 1.5.1? If not, run (don't walk) to the App Store and update ND1. ;-)

P.S. Oops. As for Select All: I forgot the delete part. You basically had to delete everything. (Which, obviously, took care of the whitespace after the program end marker.) Again, this problem should absolutely not exist anymore.
oliver
Site Admin

Postby oliver » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:11 pm

Unrelated: The programs in Demos are not the best to look at in the beginning. For one thing they clutter the small screen with the (untypical) text messages.
I'd recommend getting the Project Euler folder and looking at the programs while having http://projecteuler.net up on a computer and checking out some of the many cool math problems they give. There's a wide variety in the solutions (in both JavaScript and RPL and RPL+) and most have a pretty sweet small size.
oliver
Site Admin

Postby ebkwall » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:15 pm

Sure, I went hit "vars" until I got to the root. Selected "Demos". Then shift clicked "scribble" (also does it with "graph". I did not try any others)
double clicked the scribble function to bring up the editor. scrolled up and down to view the code. then hit the Enter key to exit out.

That's when the error comes up and even Selecting All does not get me out.
ebkwall

Postby ebkwall » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:19 pm

Ok, I see. You have to clear the window to close it out. I was worried I would update the code under the Key. I know now after reading so much of the documentation that that is not the case.

I will revisit this and check out the link you posted after I get thru all of your documentation. It might be a while

Thanks!
ebkwall

Postby ebkwall » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:21 pm

And yes, 1.5.1
ebkwall

Postby oliver » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:37 pm

Ah! It reproduces for me with scribble!

Thanks, Brian. I don't know yet what it is but this will get fixed. It might be an unprintable character in this specific program.

I went through all other programs in Demos and they all pushed fine. (A quick way to do this is to long-press each program button, by the way.)
oliver
Site Admin

Return to General