IPAD version

General Discussions about ND1

IPAD version

Postby pleiad67 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:44 am

Hi Oliver,

I have discovered your awesome calculator recently (although I have a lot of HP models from HP41 to HP50) and also use various emulator on different platforms.

This is really a great application and a great project.

Two questions :
- when will the IPAD version be available (I don't have an iphone) ?
- I have seen on your road map a built in CAS in V2. Will it be 50G like ?
I think the CAS of the 50g written by B. Parisse is partly public domain (but not sure). He has also written a stand alone CAS named XCas.

Best,
pleiad67

Re: IPAD version

Postby oliver » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:44 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your kind words.

The iPad version, "CalcPad", will be available before the end of the year.

I've been pushing the iPad version out for a long time. It's going to be more than just ND1 scaled up, and will make full use of the available resolution, and there'll be a couple of surprises.

As for the CAS, Xcas is one of the two options I've been evaluating. I had spoken to B. Parisse already almost two years ago about a suitable license. The question whether the CAS should be included off the bat, or not, is one of the reasons that the iPad version got pushed out for so long.

Thanks for inquiring. It actually helps to move this along...

Cheers.
oliver
Site Admin

Postby oliver » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:58 pm

Update: I'm running a little late with CalcPad for iPad. No time's lost, though. It goes into working on the CAS and other ND1 and MorphEngine things, which will benefit CalcPad directly.

CalcPad for iPad will come out this quarter.
oliver
Site Admin

Postby aokim » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:42 pm

Hi,

I just would like to say that I am very interested in CalcPad. I will buy it right away when it becomes available.

Regards.
aokim

Postby oliver » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:02 pm

I'm really sorry. I know some of you are waiting for CalcPad, and it just doesn't seem to manifest itself.

There's a reason for this, and it is, that I learned some lessons from the launch of ND1, and don't want to repeat the same mistakes.
ND1 launched quite capable. It was the only programmable calculator app on iOS, the only one with an HTML5 display, user-extensibility, cloud storage, downloadable folders, data-exchange with a desktop machine. But very few cared about these specific features (which, as far as I know, are still not implemented elsewhere). Instead, people cared about features that weren't implemented well: easy graphing, an algebraic mode, CAS functionality, documentation, good looks. Some of these are still outstanding and/or lacking.
I've been working on an internal engine and framework that is good. Additional significant development has been done on a major new feature that has the potential to make the app much more relevant than it is today. All this will come to fruition, but it takes either time or more manpower to accomplish the ambitious goals with this project.

Now. The iPad product is even more ambitious. And for a successful launch, it needs to do all the things right, that I know how to do right. That includes polish that ND1 never got (not because I'm mean or inept, but because I've been focusing on functionality first).

It also includes having an option for a CAS. I just announced it for ND1, and it (internally) became available for CalcPad at the same time. This is an important milestone.

I know a few of you would be happy with just ND1 for a bigger screen. But I know (or fear) it to be not enough for the average new user.

So. I apologize for the long delays to those who are waiting! I'm looking into ways to speed up implementing the road-map (which, in actuality, extends quite a bit beyond what's said in the road-map post.)
oliver
Site Admin

Return to General