Unable to get out of "Demos"

General Discussions about ND1

Unable to get out of "Demos"

Postby alfracto » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:51 am

I installed ND1 yesterday and have been exploring the app using the on-line support pages.
"Demos" appears in the upper right hand corner of my screen. In quick tour "My Vars" appears.
Also even though I chose 360 degrees in i0S settings, the trig functions continue to expect 2pi entries.
What does the text in the upper right mean and how do I change it?
Why does the iOS setting not work?

Thanks.
alfracto

Re: Unable to get out of "Demos"

Postby oliver » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Hi alfracto,

To get out of Demos you have to switch the "current folder". You do that by tapping the database button, which looks like this:

Tapping the database button will do one of two things:
- If the soft-keys show the contents of a folder (such as Demos), this will show you the name of all folders (that is, it will go "one level up")
- If the soft-keys show a function menu (such as Trig), this will switch into the current folder and show its contents

So, tap once or twice to see the list of folders in My Data, and one of them is My Vars. Tap it, and you changed into it. That will change the folder name displayed in the upper right (you'll always see the current folder's name there; when you're in a function menu that's quite helpful, because the soft-keys won't give away which folder is current).

Thanks for your feedback. There's a sentence in "Warming up" that explains how to switch folders, but I realize this is easily overlooked. Your feedback tells me I need to make this clearer and I'll try to think of something. (It's a bit of a chicken-and-egg problem. The user is asked to do something that he'll only properly learn later.)

The second problem should be easily solved: In the iOS settings app you change the display preference for angle mode. You don't actually change the angle mode, only what mode you want to see indicated in the display.
To change the angle mode, you don't need to leave the app (that would be a bit loco... ;-)) Instead you switch to the Mode menu and select there which mode you want. The Mode menu is available through this key: (over the key; get a second function by pressing and holding the normal key for a short time (half a second); that's quicker and easier than tapping the 2nd-level key and then the key.)
(I know this isn't a great key to indicate "Mode". There's not much room to write out words on the keypad, and I find it looks better when you have the keypad not cluttered with letters. But, again, it's a bit of a chicken-and-egg thing: while icons may work fine for experienced users, you need to learn to become one, and icons don't make it easier...

Hope you'll like the calculator, even after having to take those two hurdles.

Regards.

Oliver
oliver
Site Admin

Re: Unable to get out of "Demos"

Postby alfracto » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:50 pm

Thanks for the "mode" info. I found the answer to the first question myself.
alfracto

Return to General