Easier way of sending files to ND1

General Discussions about ND1

Easier way of sending files to ND1

Postby tcab » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:12 pm

Why isn't there an easier way of sending files to ND1 e.g. via a server run on the iPhone itself.
The info at http://naivedesign.com/ND1/Custom_Server_Setup.html is pretty complex and means setting up a server and PHP etc. on a pc. I've never seen anything like this before - is the average user supposed to set such a scenario up on their pc incl. PHP support. And are they supposed to install Apache on a pc?

Usually you click on a button on the iOS app and it tells you an ip address that you can point your browser to. Then you can upload and download happily. This is how 99% of most apps with sharing operate as well as supporting the itunes app filesystem model, which is nice too. Look at how the iphone app iPhone42s does it - very easy to export and import programs into that calc.
tcab

Re: Easier way of sending files to ND1

Postby oliver » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:48 am

You're right. ND1 should be its own HTTP server. I looked into that two years ago when the feature was coded and it was not so straightforward. I will look at it again.

For getting data into ND1, there actually do exist two better ways:
See #1 and #2 of http://naivedesign.com/ND1/Computer_Link.html.
(Yes, you still need a server running on your PC. You don't need PHP, though. Once setup, this is really nice and quick when you work on individual functions.)

Thanks for your valuable feedback! This will get looked into sooner now, than it would have otherwise.
oliver
Site Admin

Postby d_motto » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:58 am

I too have attempted the Custom Server Setup, and installed IIS and PHP on my Windows Vista PC. Both are running OK, but when I attempt to upload my folder to it, it doesn't work. Now, I created the upload.php file and put it into inetpub\wwwroot, along with an uploads folder. I don't seem to have a DOCROOT folder. I also put the same two items into my php folder. The connection times out.

I would like the ability to backup my folders to my PC as well as your server, but I can't seem to get the hang of this.

Dave Motto
d_motto

Postby oliver » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:16 pm

Hi Dave,

Every web server will have a "document root" directory, even if it goes under a different name. It will be configurable and the documentation for IIS should tell you what the default is on your given flavor of Windows. Is there a test page you can hit to test out your setup?

Please create a file called test.php with the following contents:
<?php phpinfo() ?>

Move this into what you think your document root directory is, and then hit your web server. (You can use your own computer for that. Just specify "localhost" as the host name. Something like http://localhost/~user/) If your setup works (both IIS and PHP), you will see a page listing a ton of stuff about PHP.
As a second step hit this test page from your iPhone and copy the URL.

Once you have this working, place upload.php next to it and paste the URL into the custom server field in either the sharing page of the app, or on the Settings | ND1 page, removing the test.php filename.

Things should work then.

(By the way, upload.php doesn't reference any directories other than "uploads". That is, there's no attempt made to obtain the path to document root, or use it. This is implied by simply referring to "uploads" as relative path.)

For safe-keeping, you can also email the folder contents to yourself. (Top button on the sharing page.)

Good luck!
oliver
Site Admin

Postby d_motto » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:47 pm

Thanks, I did test it as you said. I can get to the test.php from my PC all right, but I get an error message "Cannot Open Page (because the server stopped responding) when I try from my iPod. It cannot get to the IIS server at all.

I have been mailing the individual programs; I will attempt it with the directory as well.

Thank you,

Dave Motto
d_motto

Postby oliver » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:15 am

Hi Dave,

If you can't reach your computer from your iPod, that sounds like a firewall issue. It's probably set up to not anybody let in. You want to open that up to allow access from your local subnet on port 80 (HTTP). Also, localhost may not work. It's safer to use the IP address of your server. Something like http://192.168.0.1/~user

Emailing the folder should be no problem and will transmit the exact same data.

Again. I'm sorry this is so complicated and will look into having an HTTP server in the app, in the future.

Oliver
oliver
Site Admin

Return to General