Help - offline

General Discussions about ND1

Help - offline

Postby flex » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:52 pm

Hi, not really a bug, but a little wish from me: that the help contest becomes offline available.

Other wise I really like your work!
flex

Re: Help - offline

Postby oliver » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:11 am

Thank you, flex!

Yes, I'm planning to make help available offline. Help is currently actively being developed and an advantage of having it online is that I can add to it, without that I need to make an update. Once things stablize, I will make the entire Help section available offline. I wished the offline browsing were a bit better implemented in Dashcode, because it's actually checked already. (Which, to me, should mean that offline browsing will occur if there's no network connection.)

[EDIT: As this isn't a bug, I'm moving this topic into the General section. I hope you don't mind.]
oliver
Site Admin

Postby flex » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:44 am

coming back to this topic. What would solve your target of keeping everything up to date and my wish of having the instructions offline available - what is really needed with that possibilities of nd1 - could be a cache. Every time I am online, it makes a sync with the manual. When not online I can still read it. What do you think about this?
Really appreciating your work.
flex

Postby oliver » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:34 am

Hi flex,

It's actually meant to work like you describe. The documentation is built as a mobile website, with "allow off-line use" local caching flags checked (in Dashcode).

However, the feature doesn't seem to work as expected. I would have thought that "allow off-line use" allows you to use the documentation without an Internet connection. This is likely a Dashcode/UIWebView issue and a bit outside my control. I could, however, accept that this is broken and have an extra local static copy of the documentation that will be used if there's no Internet, and simply side-step the not-working caching functionality.

Thanks for the reminder, I'm working on a long-overdue update and will give this another look. I agree it's important.

Cheers,

Oliver
oliver
Site Admin

Return to General