nextP, prevP [DOC CHANGE]

Bugs in ND1 (report'em, get'em fixed)

nextP, prevP [DOC CHANGE]

Postby Fritz » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:20 am

On my brandnew ND1 the two functions nextP and prevP seem not to work. Instead of an integer as a result I get 'nextP' or 'prevP'. Example: 9 enter nextP enter gives 9 on stack 2 and 'nextP' on stack 1.
Is this a mistake or did I do anything wrong?

Fritz
Fritz

Re: nextP, prevP

Postby oliver » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:54 pm

Hi Fritz,

I'm assuming the *keys* nextP and prevP in the Integer menu work for you, but *typing* in these names yields just 'nextP' and 'prevP' on the stack.

The function names behind the nextP and prevP key caps are NEXTPRIME and PREVPRIME (in line with HP 50g naming). If you type these, you'll be ok.

Normally the full function name appears as key cap, but extra long function names may be shortened so the key caps read better. There's only a few instances of key cap and function name not matching. You found two of them.

In order to see the true function name, start an expression with the ' expresssion-name key and tap the function key in question. That will display 'NEXTPRIME( and 'PREVPRIME(.
(Similarly, if you start an RPL program with , that will write out NEXTPRIME and PREVPRIME, respectively.)

Does this help?

Oliver

P.S. I double-checked the documentation, and under Functions by Menu | Integer nextP and prevP are listed alongside NEXTPRIME and PREVPRIME. I realize that's misleading, and I shall either add a qualifier to make clear that these words refer to key-caps only, or make these two words aliases to NEXTPRIME and PREVPRIME (which are a handful to write with the iOS keyboard...), as you expected. Thanks for reporting.
oliver
Site Admin

Postby Fritz » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:32 am

Hi Oliver,

Thank you for the clarification. I found every thing as you described it in your answer.

On my exploration tour with the ND1 I experimented with a couple of functions and so I was puzzled to see, that keying in "divs" worked, but "nextP" did not work. Your idea to put a little note into the documentation will certainly help.

By the way, on my laptop (with Firefox) most tables of the "ND1 Functions" are truncated at the end (It seems only a few lines). May be this is a feature of my browser.

All in all I want to congratulate you to have saved the hp calculators in modern form!

Fritz
Fritz

Postby oliver » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:44 am

Fritz,

Thank you very much for your nice words!

Know that I know that the calc has rough edges and isn't half as complete as I want it to be. It will see intensive development, and I hope that one year from now, it will be smooth and complete and more worthy of your words.

The v1.4 update will introduce user-made user interfaces. That will be one of 3-4 big steps toward a modern day update to HPs.

Cheers.
oliver
Site Admin

Return to Bugs