Quick Tour Stocks Network Error [FIXED IN v1.4]

Bugs in ND1 (report'em, get'em fixed)

Quick Tour Stocks Network Error [FIXED IN v1.4]

Postby JohnShau » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:09 am

When Doing the Quick Tour Task 4 and 5 I get an error message when I tap a stock symbol; e.g. Apple logo, NVIDIA, or INTC. The message is: Error quote:NETWORK ERR: XMLHttpRequest Exception 101. OK
I get same error message on iPhone 3GS and iPad2.
JohnShau

Re: Quick Tour Stocks Network Error

Postby oliver » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:04 pm

Hi John,

These functions go out to the Internet to get a real-time quote, and thus need a working WiFi or 3G connection.
Do you have that? The error you're reporting is what you get, if you don't have one. (And, yes, I agree it should be telling you the error condition in plain English...)

Hope this helps.

Oliver
oliver
Site Admin

Postby JohnShau » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:35 am

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for the reply, I'm fairly sure I had Internet connection when I ran the ND1 Stocks test yesterday.
This morning I ran It again and got the same error message. I have both WiFi and 3G Internet connection. On my iPhone 3GS I ran the Stocks App and it worked fine.

If you have never seen this before then I'm probably doing something wrong. Please put it on the back burner; I've moved on to more interesting tutorials, etc.

John
JohnShau

Postby oliver » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:29 am

John,

If this is a real problem, I'm very interested in understanding what circumstances may cause it, and fixing it.
Could you switch to the demo folder and see if the Apple key works there (on page 2 of the demos)? What about the other two demos following it, that use the Internet? Do they work?

Thanks.

Oliver
oliver
Site Admin

Postby JohnShau » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:38 am

Oliver,

The stock price problem is not a big thing; I'm just trying all your learning tools.

I went into the Demo folder , found the Apple logo , and tapped it. Here's what happened. (First I cleared the screen.) I tapped the Apple. A message popped up that said: "The number you see is a real-time price quote for Apple stock. The RPL program to do this is tiny: ...etc." This message stays onscreen for < a minute then disappears. . If I tap the Apple again the message pops up again. There never is a number given in the window.

I switched to the Stocks folder and tapped the Apple logo and got the error message reported earlier i.e. "Error ... Exception 101".

I switched back to the Demo folder and tapped the Apple logo again. No number shown. Same message as above:" The number you see ..."

Hope this helps.

John
JohnShau

Postby JohnShau » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:15 am

Oliver,

Sorry, I was going so fast I went right past your question about the next two demos:-)

Here's what happened with "solv". I tapped "solv" and a cubic equation showed on line 1. I'm pretty sure ND1 connected to the Internet and a Wolfram full page opened. Next, i think an orange rectangle showed the statement "solve x^3+3*x+3 for x". Then a video started and showed the solution graphically. When I ran "solve" again I think the result was different but similar. I.E. there was no automatic video. Tapping the equal sign in the orange box causes a dynamic "computing" message to appear with results shown.

Here's what happens with "Perodic". A static, color, large screen display of the Perodic Table opens. The white font words e.g. NonMetal, Inert, AlkaliMetals, etc, when tapped, cause the corresponding element tiles to light up and all others go dim. "Show All" lights up all the element tiles.

Hope this helps

John
JohnShau

Postby oliver » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:14 am

Hi John,

Thanks for your response and trying out the demo folder.

The dialog you're getting is correct but you should see 393.62 on the stack (Apple's stock price from yesterday's close).
So, this is somehow not working for you. On the other hand, your Internet connection works or else you wouldn't have gotten the WolframAlpha page, or the periodic table.

A couple of months ago, the Stocks folder was updated, as Google had slightly changed their API. I forget the error one got with the old code.

I don't want to take too much of your time, but could you make sure you have the latest version of the folder? See if you have the "cc" and "€→US$" and "US$→€" programs in the Stocks folder. If so, do these programs work for you? To test, enter, say, 1 and press €→US$. Your stack should say "1.3372" (if you run this today).
If you don't have the latest folder, everything might be explained, and the fix is to update both the Stocks and Demos folders via My Data | Folders (under Downloadables) and grabbing Stocks and Demos from the Updates section.

Also, typing "version" should yield "1.3.10" on the stack. (This is the version of the calculator.)

Thanks.

Oliver
oliver
Site Admin

Postby JohnShau » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:07 pm

Oliver,

In Stocks I have keys labled: quote, Portfolio, Applee logo, NVIDIA, INTC, and a blank key (I guess that corresponds to the contents of the folder). If I tap NEXT those keys remain. I do not see the three programs "cc", "x>US$", and "US$ > x", you asked about. Entering " version" returns 1.3.10. I'll mention I have ND0 still installed; I doubt that's the problem.

Sounds like you've found the problem. How do I get the latest stocks folder?

Thanks,
John
JohnShau

Postby oliver » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:37 pm

Ah, yes, that makes sense. Since the last app update was before this folder was updated, you still have the old code.

To get the latest version of the Stocks folder:
- Tap the My Data tab (tap the Menu key first to see the tabs, if you have your calc expanded)
- Scroll to the bottom of the list, tap Shared Folders
- You should now see Stocks listed in the Updates section, tap Stocks
Done.

Switch back to the calc and try again.
oliver
Site Admin

Postby JohnShau » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:56 am

Hi Oliver,

Yes. Stocks working now. That was easy :-)

Thanks

John
JohnShau

Return to Bugs